BACKJUMPS, THE LIVE ISSUE #2, BERLIN

Postby d'invluensko » September 6th, 2005, 4:37 pm

aeiou, i'm sure you know aswell as me that if you do something very minimal -lets say you make a robot to secretly draw a line in the enterancehall of a big bank to make you statement about this or that, the chance it will be visible for the people that might understand its deeper intentions is not so large. Ofcourse thats part of the risk, is its very short life on that beautiful marble floor will be. Why not use the possibilities of other media to EXTEND the range of an intervention?
Why being blocked with the idea that using other means than just, lets say a marker on your way from home to school and back, is the real and only true sincere path to glory?
And one more thing i'd like to retorically ask to your although very appreciated writing, and that is what is wrong with l'art pour l'art in relation to urban interventions and the way these actions are shared with others that, for so many reasons are not able to see these beautiful sophisticated works shine in their full glory as planned by their makers?

greetings from berlin (E/I©2003)
d'invluensko
burner
burner

Postby d'invluensko » September 6th, 2005, 4:40 pm

psII. about art-pretentions: don't fear and be limited by 'pretentions' or to put 'ambitions' in your actions - or ideals for that matter. Just act as you please, reflect afterwards and share your works with others if you dare.
d'invluensko
burner
burner

Postby pash* » September 7th, 2005, 1:28 am

i mean that as you place into streets and comunicate to random audience,, there is no way how to get feedbackt from this concrete audience on the spot {except of that you will stand there half a day listening to spoken reactions},, so the best other way is to expose your work on medium such as internet,, and so there is nothing bad on it,, pictures of street art usually doesn't have high photographic quallity so it can't substitute the real piece,, it works as reference mostly,, so i guess that it's not like, , making actions in steets for their photo and later exposition on net,, this second act is just the way to get reaction,,, but of course, , it's stupid, , that most of those reactions are from people, who saw it only on the picture, so their impression isn't complete.. but there is also important fact, , that even you see it on bad photo if it's good on the spot, , you can see it still there and you can get influenced and it's good i thing , , because if you care of making good work,, seeing really good work from other people makes you push harder..

and about explanation,, long story short... if it impresses {emotions or mind},, it's the most important thing i guess, , ant the reason why that happens is on the second place... .
pash*
writer
writer

Postby aeiou » September 7th, 2005, 10:13 am

Well you dont know for sure.. just that the photo's didn't appear on this website doesn't mean the artist didn't do something outside.

d'invluensko wrote:i had the idea no so many others from that show did anything outside.. quite a pitty. for the rest i only saw some stuff from swoon in the streets and i know dariusjones and brad downey did an unofficial thing outdoors.
aeiou
writer
writer

Postby aeiou » September 7th, 2005, 10:14 am

yes that is something I am very curious about also. I been looking around, but I couldn't found anything of him, where is it?

///EROSIE/// wrote:AHA! That explains all... :shock: .

Ehhh...just wondering. What did Espo make? He was part of the exhibition right?
aeiou
writer
writer

Postby aeiou » September 7th, 2005, 10:18 am

oops, didnt read well enough. sorry for repetative postings

TerrorStaak wrote:
eko wrote:I don't think the movement is dead, simply many of the people that we're asked to participate to the show don't do much in the streets anymore: Stak, Inkunstruction, Lokiss, Skki etc.

ce n'est parce que tu ne vois pas les photos sur internet que ces mecs la peignent moins ou plus. 8)

it is not because you don't see pictures on internet that those guys don't paint anymore. 8)
aeiou
writer
writer

Postby aeiou » September 7th, 2005, 10:56 am

Last one here for now. Thanks influ for getting into it. It seems that you love a good discussion. Reading everything in this topic back again, couple of things come to mind.
What is the difference between street art and Graffiti? I think it is the same to be honest. Same medium (public space) and same goals (I got the bigger balls, by being the smartest, or being the hardest working). Because in the end it is a fame game. Which, to me is completely understandable though. It is the fact that we don't want to live our lives and die without being noticed.
Off course there are a lot of people doing it just for fun, but those are not the ones that will wind up in a Backjumps exhibition, or will be reading these forums.

Then another thing, I read that the expo was sponsored by Nike.
"We" don't want to give our thing away to the masses/corporate world, yet we do want them all to know about us, otherwise the artists would not participate with such events as Backjumps. By spreading the information it will become mainstream. I don't care though. I think everybody should just work on their own. I don't like the misplaced community feeling.

Critisizing Rammellzee for being a sell out. There is nothing wrong with making a living with what you are good at. Rammellzee has made my life happier by commercially releasing his records. Fortunately he is still doing his thing. I would not wear Rammellzee boxer shorts, but if he would do those, and he would get paid for it, good. I am sure he would laugh all the way to the bank.

Just my 2 centimes..
aeiou
writer
writer

Postby errorist » September 7th, 2005, 10:58 am

STREET ART = we should make art on streets for everyone not in galleris for a few people!!

NOT for money, not for others but for YOU, couse we have that freedom to do what we want, and not to listen for others telling us what to do!!!!
errorist
writer
writer

Postby aeiou » September 7th, 2005, 11:06 am

But then there are always two sides of the coin... Reading the previous post made me realise that what I am writing is very much from a Renaissance viewpoint; individualism.
aeiou
writer
writer

Postby aeiou » September 7th, 2005, 11:07 am

three sides on a coin
aeiou
writer
writer

Postby pash* » September 7th, 2005, 11:29 am

aeiou is absolutely right,, there is nothing bad at doing the stuff you like the most also for money,, because it also means that you take it serious and so do anything you want

i guess that there is no death of street art,, only one decade is finishing and the point of view is changing,, , and maybe it will be a little better because as street art will be no longer such a "underground" than only those who really do it seriuos and from heart will continue working and all those tag all the city with my dick to fuck some bitchez will dissapear because it will not be so cool anymore. .

and i alsoo thing that it is the point of realization of anyones artistic ideas,, to show tmeh to audience and stand above them for a while at least
pash*
writer
writer

Postby d'invluensko » September 7th, 2005, 1:21 pm

aeiou wrote:Well you dont know for sure.. just that the photo's didn't appear on this website doesn't mean the artist didn't do something outside.

ofcourse i don't know for sure -thats why i made that question in the first place. but on the other hand, i talked to alot of the artists in the show and all where not into doing anything on their own accord outside. .as was also visible outside..

espo didnt show up at all. so nothing to see from him in the expo or in town. (exept for 1 of 2 tags to be discovered in mitte)
d'invluensko
burner
burner

Postby d'invluensko » September 7th, 2005, 1:25 pm

perhaps also zevs did some works outside.. but we'll never know cause he is now promoting his 'invisible' spraypaint - only visible under UV-light.
d'invluensko
burner
burner

Postby errorist » September 7th, 2005, 4:10 pm

pash* wrote:, there is nothing bad at doing the stuff you like the most also for money,, because it also means that you take it serious and so do anything you want

iam not so sure!! if someone pays you he damends something and you dont have so much freedom from start ( politics, state, goverment, bad words....can you spit on it if you get money, NO )
errorist
writer
writer

Postby pash* » September 7th, 2005, 5:14 pm

but this thing about freedom is absolutely outstanding point of this discussion,,, it depends on each person, , if he'd do anything just to get money or if he'd do only stuff he is satisfied with..
so that's why if street artists make money of it, , it ussualy means making t-shirts, buttons etc...
pash*
writer
writer

Postby pash* » September 7th, 2005, 5:19 pm

but there are also extremes such as Obey & Dj Shadow making bussines in big and overprized... http://www.obeydjshadow.com/ ...
pash*
writer
writer

Postby ///EROSIE/// » September 8th, 2005, 8:42 am

HAHAHAHA what a joke...a guy (a dj? with a recordbag throwing a molotov-cocktail? To who? The people at the big record-company's cocktail-party?)

Pseudo-rebellious-blahblah (copied from oldstyle-propaganda) for 13 year old kids.

All the Giant-stuff kind of ended for me after he was not allowed to use the imagery of Andre the Giant (the wrestler), and introduced the smooth OBEY-face, and all the illustrative decorative extras.
From that moment it seemed to shift to a branding campaign. But there's no critique here...the man is untouchable right? :shock:

I think the money thing for a whole lot of street-"artists" has a lot to do with taking what you're offered. Not caring if it's for a shoecompany, a clothingbrand, on parfume-bottles or on socks, it's the momentum of taking what is offered, without any hesitation about other reasons than easy exposure and money.
It's true..it's a different intention for every person...Look into the graffiti-world...same story. Some people don't care, for that shit, some people are very focussed. 2 weeks ago I saw a pair of butt-ugly converse sneaker for sale...with a COPE2-pice silkscreened on it...it looked a bit... sad.
getting back to the subject: this could be a reason that gallery-shows often look more like shopwindow-exhibitions showing the "for sale"items, than that it has to do with "art".
Which is again all about the intentions for most people; what are these intentions? If it's all about exposure and money, it will lead to more molotv-cocktail-throwing dj's. And it's understandable...who doesn't want to earn a living doing that thing you love doing?

But on the long term...what will artistically be the benefit for "the movement" ? 8)
///EROSIE///
ekosystem family
ekosystem family

Postby g » September 8th, 2005, 8:44 am

EROSIE PRESIDENT !! :eleph:
g
gold member
gold member

Postby ///EROSIE/// » September 8th, 2005, 8:54 am

Haha...better not! :shock:

you have a funny elephant you...a funny pink little elephant haha.

No seriously... I didn't figure it out yet! I only have questions if it comes down to the money/art thing...

:cry:
///EROSIE///
ekosystem family
ekosystem family

Postby g » September 8th, 2005, 8:57 am

be sure i'll stay with you in the shadow !!
remember that every questions build a collective brain.tsunami until the answer.

ps : share this pink elephant as a symbol
with clicking on " View more emoticons " :eleph:
g
gold member
gold member

PreviousNext

Return to Germany