BACKJUMPS, THE LIVE ISSUE #2, BERLIN

Postby eko » September 5th, 2005, 10:35 am

What Stak explained me in a PM:

Stak doesn't enjoy seeing his work published without any explanation particularly when is shown only a part of his piece and not the whole one.

In a more general way, he is a bit tired of seeing this picture culture on internet. Pictures and only pictures, no explanations, no context.

(bon j'espère que c'est à peu près correct ma transcription Stak)

as an answer Stak, i could tell you something like: "if you don't like medias , become one". You can give your explanations here, or somewhere else.
eko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ///EROSIE/// » September 5th, 2005, 10:42 am

Well...thanks Eko for expalining...but please give TERRORSTAAK space to explain it himself...he's not a retard in a wheelchair!

True that about the internet-picture-world...i completley agree. But he and so many others have a website themselves...and seem to use it to document the activities or non-activities in the streets...so internet ( and especially a forum like this) is a perfect way to take a inside look into motivations and explanations, to add some text and explanation!

The other questions is...IF THERE ARE ANY MOTIVATIONS OR EXPLANATIONS!!!

So...I'm curious to see what people, and also Stak have to add to this topic...it's interesting!
///EROSIE///
ekosystem family
ekosystem family

Postby d'invluensko » September 5th, 2005, 11:15 am

the internet, ahh... the internet.. what an alien- and oh so distorting medium in relation to The Real Deal: the street..
'Cause thats where it really all happends.. sure ('sponsored by fotolog').

Nowadays ofcourse the internet-discourse (as superficial it mostly is) is an essential part of the artwork as a whole, and gives it its context -how people can read and understand it. As graffitimagazines and books and tv did.

As 'dead end' wrote: all art must undergo the test of 'tiredness' and bleed. In a battle its up to the art itself to show if it can resist the pressure.
Its war and there's no respect for decoration.

More general, but nonetheless quite true: being frustrated about the internet-effect is like being tired about the cycle of day and night.

finally, Sun Tsu said it more then 2000 years ago "If detail can't stand daylight, what is sum of details".
d'invluensko
burner
burner

Postby CRE » September 5th, 2005, 11:34 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sacré stak !!!
CRE
ekosystem family
ekosystem family

Postby ///EROSIE/// » September 5th, 2005, 11:51 am

Cool to read Sun Tsu had ideas about doing streetart 2000 years ago...

But ofcourse "sponsored by fotolog"is not enough. :D That's the point.

Both exhibitions (i thought we were still talking about this) and internet can add something to the original form; the streets.

Exhibitions can for instance build a bridge to the artworld, internet and books can give it text, explanation and context...

But can they replace it? How serious can the "thoughts and ideas" of streetartists or post-graffiti-people be taken to ONLY see them in an art-space, book, magazine or on internet? Or is it just about playing out the form...and tire it out...
///EROSIE///
ekosystem family
ekosystem family

Postby alexone » September 5th, 2005, 12:10 pm

STAAAK WE WOULD LIKE YOUR EXPLANATIONS !!!!
Staak oué ouhé houéé !!!
staaaakk ! wouée whouué woué !!!
(bon il faut l'imaginé scandé pas des miliers de hooligans!)
alexone
ekosystem family
ekosystem family

WARNING

Postby mc1984 » September 5th, 2005, 2:15 pm

POLiCE eYE :old:
mc1984
ekosystem family
ekosystem family

Postby CRE » September 5th, 2005, 5:55 pm

for my part, i don't need an explanation... :lol:
CRE
ekosystem family
ekosystem family

Postby pash* » September 5th, 2005, 7:54 pm

the whole backjumps seems to be so great, , looking forward to check it real next weeeeekk.. . :D

you guys made something a lot of people will memorize for yearss :D

+ the think about explanation is good topic to pic up really.. . .
pash*
writer
writer

Postby d'invluensko » September 5th, 2005, 9:55 pm

okay, to cool down a bit ;) think explaning an artwork would be a bit silly -the artwork is the artwork, should that speaks for itself. although there can be said alot around the work ofcourse. and should. the exhibitions- the motives the angles. Like what the hell the sense of it all is or not.

So: what could be the reason to make a graff-related show (or any other for that matter) if its not the money we make with it (thats very clear about the stak-piece)? Only eternal fame for its players, or perhaps the artists have some hidden utopian thoughts behind their works?
One of the ideas behind the Backjumps-show (atleast as far as i know about the first one of 2003, but suppose its no so different with the part II) was informational, like 'this is what is more possible than just name-spraying as we saw for the last 20 years'..

okay gotta go again- just one more quick pics for those who don't go to berlin:
d'invluensko
burner
burner

Postby g » September 5th, 2005, 10:26 pm

imagination are the highway of the art understanding
don't you turn crazy if at 25 years old you still need a hand to cross a street ?

meanwhile others are far away this poor debat..

(( by Hussein Chalayan in 98/99 ))
g
gold member
gold member

Postby d'invluensko » September 5th, 2005, 11:47 pm

okayokay;)
d'invluensko
burner
burner

Postby aeiou » September 6th, 2005, 2:50 am

[quote="d'invluensko"] the internet, ahh... the internet.. what an alien- and oh so distorting medium in relation to The Real Deal: the street..
'Cause thats where it really all happends.. sure ('sponsored by fotolog').

Nowadays ofcourse the internet-discourse (as superficial it mostly is) is an essential part of the artwork as a whole, and gives it its context -how people can read and understand it. As graffitimagazines and books and tv did.

That is definitely the truth for your work; Influenza, without you taking photo's of your own work in the street and displaying that on internet or other media, most of it would fade out without being seen by a single soul.

Not that I say that that is a bad thing though..
aeiou
writer
writer

Postby btmayhem » September 6th, 2005, 4:48 am

is that os gemeos stuff legal?
btmayhem
burner
burner

Postby d'invluensko » September 6th, 2005, 8:53 am

that osgemeos stuff is legal /on invitation for an art-project where artists where invited to paint some temorary wall in that city (that building will be destroyed after the end of the project).

about the web and other media to show the works -ofcourse thats true.
most of the stuff i do is so small and minimal that almost nobody sees it exept for the local users of the surrounding of this things i do.
the good thing about the web and those other media is that it gives me the possibility to share them with others and make them part of a culture -to let them not be to incidental.
since there are not so many people offering me to make books and documentaries about all the individual projects i do, i have to take my chances with the internet, which is even better cause its easy accessable for everyone and not just for the happy few living near an art-bookshop.
In ideal is that it could also be possible to have an open discussion about the works with everybody, as with other peoples' works and exhibitions.

But again. Some of the works are made to be very fragile and temporary but in my opinion interesting enough to share with others. Documenting and publicating is a good way of extending the life of an artwork.
d'invluensko
burner
burner

Postby aeiou » September 6th, 2005, 11:08 am

@influ: or... you should do more of them, then just the incidental action; take a photo and have proof..
I mean with the word stickers you have proofed that you do have the potential to work hard. It seems that nowadays you think the idea is enough. Isnt that too salon fahig?
aeiou
writer
writer

Postby ///EROSIE/// » September 6th, 2005, 11:28 am

...good question...but at least there is an idea AND hard work. And believe me this object-climbing man works very hard. Harder than most out there...

For me I'd rather see one sticker with a good idea than 365.722 stickers with yet another pokemon-style character on it.
But true...what's the value if it's on the street, needs it to be repeated over and over to make impact? Isn't that too much of a graffiti-approach, linked to the "getting up" repetition's key to succes? Tagging with stickers?
///EROSIE///
ekosystem family
ekosystem family

Postby d'invluensko » September 6th, 2005, 11:54 am

a project has to have the reason to be put in the streets only few times or a maximum-bomb times. Sometimes its good to be more subtle than just crackhead confetti-style to create an effect that makes sense. Its ofcourse fun to spread the city as raindrops, but if it doesnt go anywhere, what the hell is the point?
To stay with the topic, thats also the point of doing an exhibition: showing a work or project as one fixed thing in time and space, for others to enjoy and possibly use as reference.
d'invluensko
burner
burner

Postby d'invluensko » September 6th, 2005, 1:53 pm

ps. for detail-fetishism_ check this:

http://www.fotolog.net/agoe/

or this one

http://www.fotolog.net/artflog/

:)
d'invluensko
burner
burner

Postby aeiou » September 6th, 2005, 4:00 pm

You are making things in public space because you have the urge to comunicate something to the random city public. At least that is what I presume. If people dont see it then you might as well do it in your room, atelier or in your head. Or why not do it in photoshop?

By showing your work on the internet, your only public is 'street art' public. Art pour l'art isn't that the expression?

I rather see somebody put a lof of effort in it.
By the way I hate seeing stupid droodles repeated over and over again. Then I rather see somebodys name, the uglier the better.

Mabye the problem lies in its name. Street "art". that makes it pretentious by its name.

just some thoughts though.
aeiou
writer
writer

PreviousNext

Return to Germany